Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Acting Busy

Being busy makes you seem important. And the closest most of us will get to seeming important is while acting busy. There's a certain art in making people believe you are busy. You cannot blog for a while and make it seem like you are really busy. But that is obviously based on the premise that your blogs are read by a lot of people. So if you have a blog thats as unpopular as mine (which I suspect is the case with you if you are reading this) or if you don't even have one, you have one less option.

Over time I have employed several other strategies.

Ignoring phone calls - This is probably the most common and it tops the list

Ignoring phone calls only to call back later - This quite neat because you don't end up looking rude. Of course I wouldn't employ this tactic on weekdays, unless its between 7am and7pm (US cellular calls are free at these times).

Using monosyllables to respond - Quite useful both over the phone or online.

Using Monosyllables to respond while pretending to be on the phone - This is great to fool more than one person. The person on the phone and people around me.

Sitting in libraries - Some of my most unproductive hours have been spent in the library. Yet I have somehow managed to look important AND smart to a lot of people by just being there. Thats an added advantage of being in libraries.

Over the years I have come to realise the several advantages in seeming busy to people when I'm not. Try it out. It's great!







No comments: